Did you know that Monday 19 August 2019 is National Potato Day? To celebrate this multi-functional savoury baking foundation, we’re sharing a deliciously warming dinner recipe for those slightly cooler summer evenings.
An #AtHomeBaking Summer Twist on the Savoury Bake
- Heat oven to 200 degrees.
- Thinly slice your potatoes, leeks and onion.
- Pour vegetable stock into a large pan and bring to the boil.
- Add the sliced potatoes, leeks and onions to the stock and boil for 5 mins until lightly softened, before draining well. Reserve leftover stock in a jug.
- Butter a large baking dish. Layer up the potatoes and leeks loosely (a great part for the kids to join in with!) and add seasoning to your taste throughout.
- Pan fry your bacon rashers until as crispy as desired.
- One cooled, snip the rashers and sprinkle them over the top of your baking dish.
- Next, pour over the reserved stock as necessary, then spoon over the cream (if using) and cover with foil.
- Bake for 30 mins. Halfway through, remove the foil cover.
- Enjoy! We’d recommend adding your favourite green vegetables on the side.
Adapted from Jane Hornby for BBC Food.