Now that we’re in the cosiest season of the year, we’re loving creating recipes that are as warming as your favourite Christmas jumper. In today’s blog post we’re sharing a recipe that’s perfect for perking up on the slow and cloudy days of Autumn – a cappuccino cake, to celebrate Cappuccino Day!
For the sponge:
- 250g softened butter
- 250g brown sugar
- 300g self-raising flour
- 4 eggs
- 250ml cooled freshly made coffee
For the icing:
- 500g mascarpone
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- cocoa dusting or hot chocolate powder
- optional: grated dark chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees
- Grease two 20cm sandwich tins with butter and line the bottom with greaseproof paper.
- Mix the butter and brown sugar in a large bowl until soft, light and creamy.
- Add the flour and eggs together, continuing to mix until consistent.
- Pour in most of your cooled, freshly made coffee (leaving 4 tablespoons aside) and gently mix to distribute the flavour evenly.
- Pour the mix into the greased tins and bake for around 25 minutes, until golden.
- Add a little bit of brown sugar to 3 tablespoons of coffee, and lightly sprinkle across the sponge cakes.
- Leave the cakes to cool for a few minutes.
- While the cakes are cooling, add mascarpone to a large bowl, whipping in the sugar and remaining coffee until smooth and creamy.
- Use half of the icing to sandwich together your cakes, distributing the rest along the top of the cake.
- Just like the coffee itself, finish off your cappuccino cake with a dusting of your favourite cocoa dusting! Add grated chocolate, too, for extra sweetness.
The perfect At Home Baking product for this recipe would be…
What’s your favourite style of bake for the cosiest season?
Adapted from BBC Good Food