With our favourite festive chunky knit jumpers out and the Christmas mugs filled with hot chocolate, we know we’re in cosy soup season. And what better way to enjoy your homemade minestrone or mushroom masterpiece than with some quick and easy freshly baked bread? Bonus: it’ll fill your home with the warming and delicious sent of a bakery.
So here it is… the ultimate homebaked bread recipe, ready to be created with the whole family!
The perfect At Home Baking product for this recipe is…
- 4 cups water
- 1 tbsp granulated yeast (quick rise)
- 1 tbsp salt
- 7 cups plain flour
- Warm the water until around 100°F.
- In the large bowl, mix the yeast, 3 cups of water, and salt.
- Add the cups of plain flour, gently mixing with very wet hands, until soft and dough-like.
- Cover loosely and prove for around two hours.
- Next, place the dough in the fridge and leave overnight.
- Line your baking tray with non-stick parchment paper.
- Take as much of the dough as you’d like, and coat it in enough flour to eliminate stickiness, but not so much as to make it dry!
- For around a minute, gently smooth and push the dough edges downwards, rotating, to create a ball.
- Place the dough ball on the lined baking tray and leave to rest for half an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 450°F (230°C) for around 20 minutes.
- Use a serrated bread knife to draw your desired pattern across the top of the dough ball. Dust with flour.
- Place a metal broiler tray (a glass tray could shatter) filled with 1 cup of hot water on a rack that won’t touch the bread.
- Place the bread dough in the oven and bake for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Leave to cool on a wire rack.
What are your At Home Baking bread making tips?
Recipe adapted from this recipe.